BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Armed robbery takes place at Grizzly Peak

JUNE 19, 2013

An armed robbery occurred early Saturday morning at a signpost turnout on Grizzly Peak Boulevard near the UC Berkeley campus.

The robbery is the third incident of violence to take place on Grizzly Peak Boulevard in the past five weeks, following a deadly shooting in May and an assault on a UC Berkeley student earlier this month.

According to the crime alert, the male and female victims, neither of whom are affiliated with UC Berkeley, were sitting in their vehicle enjoying the view at approximately 2:50 a.m. at the signpost turnout when two male suspects approached the car. The first suspect beat the male victim — who was in the driver’s seat with his window down — about the head with a handgun while yelling at the victim to give him his money. The second suspect proceeded to open the male victim’s door and search his pockets.

The victims drove away from the scene after their property had been taken. They were later stopped by Kensington police for a traffic violation. An ambulance was called to the scene, and the victims, who both sustained lacerations to their faces, were taken to a local hospital.

According to UCPD spokesperson Lt. Eric Tejada, UCPD has increased its patrol around Grizzly Peak due to the recent assaults that have taken place in this area.

According to the UCPD crime alert, the suspects are described as:

Suspect No. 1 — a Hispanic male in his mid-20s, approximately 5-foot-10 and 130 lbs., with a slim build, black hair and brown eyes, wearing a black collared button-up shirt and light colored jeans.  The suspect was holding a black or gray 10-inch handgun.

Suspect No. 2 — a white male, approximately 20 years of age, 6-foot-2 and 130 lbs., with a very skinny build.

Suspect No. 3 — A Hispanic female in her mid-20s, approximately 5-foot-6 and 140 lbs., with long and straight brown hair tied back in a ponytail.

Suspect vehicle — A baby blue four-door sedan, 2009 or newer, was driven by Suspect No. 3.

Contact Angelica Villegas at 

JUNE 25, 2013