Second suspect arrested in connection with February homicide

Oakland resident Jevon Calland, 21, was arrested by Berkeley police on Sunday on suspicion of homicide.

Calland, along with a second man, Maurice Antoine Thomas, are being held in connection with the February homicide of 34-year-old Zontee Jones.

Jones was shot and killed on Feb. 4 at around 11 a.m. near the intersection of Delaware Street and San Pablo Avenue. Local patrol officers responded to the scene at approximately 11:08 a.m. after receiving reports of shots fired and found Jones suffering gunshot wounds. He was immediately transported to a local hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Jones’ death was the first homicide in Berkeley this year and the only one so far. It has instigated continuous police investigation since February. BPD detectives gathered information implicating Calland as a suspect and issued a warrant for his arrest.

Calland, Thomas and others allegedly made a plan to harm the victim. The day before the murder, Calland reportedly threatened Jones in front of witnesses. Both suspects allegedly carried firearms to the scene of the crime, but Thomas was allegedly responsible for shooting the victim.

Both Calland and Thomas are currently being held without bail and pending trial at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse.

Contact Mark Tan at [email protected]