BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 28, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Male arrested for armed robbery at People's Park Thursday

JUNE 25, 2013

An man was arrested for armed robbery at People’s Park Thursday afternoon.

According to the UCPD crime alert released Monday, the victims, a nonaffiliated male and female were in the park with friends. The alert states that the victims were sitting near a bench when they were allegedly approached by an unknown male displaying a handgun in his waistband.

Fearing for their safety, the victims did not confront the suspect, who began to take their personal belongings.

According to the alert, the suspect walked to a waiting white Dodge Durango with yellow flames on the side, which was occupied by three females. A UCPD officer patrolling near Martin Luther King Jr. Way, observed a white Durango matching the description and initiated a stop.

The suspect was positively identified by the victims and witnesses and was arrested.

The stolen items were recovered. The victims were not physically injured during the encounter.

According to the UCPD crime alert, the suspect is described as Andres Rodriguez, a 19-year-old male Hispanic, 5-foot-9 and 160 lbs., with black hair and wearing a red hat, black shirt and jeans.

Andrea Guzman is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and on Twitter @guzmanandrea5.

JUNE 25, 2013