Snack food rising: return of the Twinkie

Matt Espineli/Staff

After the travesty of Hostess closing down this last November, a fair amount of ruckus resulted from the end of its legendary junk food snack known as the Twinkie. People around the world mourned the loss of the delightfully unhealthy snack. Those who decisively took action dealt with the news in varying ways. Some started online petitions to the White House while others scrounged up whatever last remaining boxes were left at their local supermarkets to sell for excruciatingly high prices on eBay. In our true, earnest opinion, it was quite a desperate time.

Well, for those Cal students who had lost hope all those months ago, we at the Clog are would like to inform you that Twinkies are returning on July 15. That’s right — no more convenience-store knock-off Twinkies for you. The original Twinkie is coming back, and heck, there’s even a countdown to get you all hyped up.

The announcement itself was made through the Hostess Facebook page, where it links to the ominous ticking clock. For those unacquainted with Hostess’ fate following the closure, after months of uncertainty toward Hostess’ fate and intellectual properties, Apollo Global Management and Metropoulos & Co. were the ones who stepped up to the plate with the winning bid on all of the legendary snack food’s brand name. So it seems that returning Twinkies to shelves was only a logical move that would happen eventually.

Of course, we acknowledge the slight ridiculousness of it all. Why get hyped over a food snack that many of us discarded from our diet years ago? Nostalgia. Twinkies remind us of a time of cherished simplicity. In a way, the return of Twinkies can be seen as a continuation of that nostalgia into the future, where golden spongy cakes filled with frosting frolic freely in an open field of grass among the spring flowers. It’s touching stuff, really.

Now the next question on our minds is: When we are going to get our gosh darn Hohos and Cupcakes back?

Contact Matt Espineli at [email protected]