5 things to remember as you’re preparing for a music festival

This season is the season of music festivals. And for all you music festival junkies at Cal – we know you’re out there — this music festival season is your GO time. Whether you danced your a** off at EDC over the weekend or you’re headed to Outside Lands in August, there were/are several things you need to remember:

1. Dehydration is REAL. Whether you’re in the middle of the desert, enjoying SoCal sun or bathing in mild Bay Area air, there’s one you need to keep in mind. You guessed it: WATER. Dehydration is one of the most common reasons that people don’t get to enjoy the festivals they planned on enjoying, so remember to grab your CamelBaks and Klean Kanteens before heading out. (Fortunately, most big music festivals have water-refilling stations!)

2. Comfort, comfort, comfort. First off, comfortable shoes are a MUST. Close-toed shoes are highly suggested — preferably ones that can be tied up and will stay on. We recommend Converse, Toms, Vans and especially combat boots — you want to enjoy some dope-a** music, not worry about being stepped on for hours at a time. Also, remember to wear non-constrictive clothing like flowy tops and vintage t-shirts that’ll ensure you can dance your booty off without wanting to strip naked in the middle of an Empire of the Sun set. (Unless that’s your cup of tea. Wink, wink.)

3. Bands might make her dance but they don’t have to make you dance. Remember that you don’t have to spend tons of money in order to look awesome at a music festival. Thrift shops around the Bay Area and in Berkeley like Buffalo Exchange and all the shops along Haight Street in San Francisco can provide you with inexpensive but great clothing options for those festival days. If you want to go a little wilder and find some crazy pieces you’d probably never wear on a normal basis, head out to those thrift shops we mentioned or check out Forever 21, the sale section at Asos, Boohoo or search in the $50 and under section at Polyvore.

4. Remember to pace yourself. This applies to various music-festival activities from dancing to inhaling herbs to getting inebriated. Going too hard at the beginning can wear you out and ruin the next several hours or even the next few days of your music festival. We know you want to have a kick-a** time, but try not to experience that kick-a** time in a too concentrated period. If you play at a level you know you can control, we can guarantee that you’ll have a great time.

5. Happy mindset = happy time. The most important thing to remember as you prepare for your music festival is to enjoy yourself. As corny as it sounds, going into a festival, or any event really, with the mindset that you will have fun no matter what and that you won’t let anything bother you is a promise to yourself that you’ll have a wonderful experience that you will never forget. So just remember what we’ve mentioned and relax and enjoy to your heart’s desire.

Do you have any reminders for preparing for music festivals? Let us know in the comments!

Image source: Caesar Sebastian under Creative Commons

Contact Gabrielle Nguyen at [email protected]