Holiday sales to look out for

This Thursday will see red, white and blue plastered up and down nearly every street, American flags flying proud. And maybe a pom pom or two lining the more enthusiastic neighbors’ doors. But for those of you inclined to some good ole’ discounts to top off  fireworks, the Clog has some tips about Fourth of July sales this year.

A lot of sales already kicked off this past weekend, but there is still some good stuff to be had. Just be sure to grab whatever you have your eye on before the week is out. By the time this weekend rolls around, all the good stuff will probably have been snatched up. Which stores should you be heading to, you ask? Here are a few suggestions:

Macy’sIt was one of the stores to start sales early. But the department store will have discounts throughout the store until July 7 (up to 60 percent off!) as well as clearance items with extra price reductions. While a lot of summer items will probably go on sale again later as well, if you’re looking for some household items for your dorm or apartment, this could be a place to check out. Macy’s is also going to have specials today, tomorrow and Thursday.

Office DepotThis office supplies store is celebrating with a tech sale, with discounts on laptops, printers, cameras and more. You can also find furniture and school supplies for less. If you’re in the market, you could have a look at the desks, then get some paper and pens. These deals will be available until July 6.

IkeaThe savior of all college students! From July 4 to 6, the store will be having one-day offers on different items. Check out what’s lined up for back-to-college kids like us, both in furniture and other essential around-the-apartment things like lamps and kitchen towels.

SearsAs students, you’re probably not in the market for the bigger items this department store has to offer, but it may still be worth your while to check out which appliances are on sale. Appliances will be 10 to 30 percent off, and if none of those interest you, they also have clothes for 50 to 60 percent off.

Gap, Old Navy and Banana RepublicIf you’re looking for clothes (and hip-ish ones at that), these stores are offering 30 percent off when you shop online. You can take advantage of this until July 3.

If you’re at home, it should be easier to get to the sales. If you’re in Berkeley, maybe you can head into San Francisco or Emeryville for a few hours of shopping after classes or work. And if there’s time to shop in between family barbecues and firework shows at night, check out stores on Independence Day itself. There will probably be huge deals just for that day. Otherwise, look for more online-only deals. Social media sites like Twitter and Facebook could also have extra deals to look out for. Of course, if you’d rather enjoy the sunshine and ignore all the SAVINGS! signs around you, that’s cool, too. We all need breaks from money-spending every once in a while.

Image source: quinn.anya under Creative Commons. 

Contact Erum Khan at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @erumjkhan.