Local attractions provide Berkeley residents many options this Fourth of July

Michael Ball/Staff/File
The public gathers at the Marina for live performances.

This Fourth of July, Berkeley residents will not have to stray far from home to find several exciting Independence Day events.

The largest event of the day is the Berkeley Marina Fourth of July fireworks & festival taking place from noon to 10 p.m. Along with live music and food, the festival will feature entertainment ranging from free dragon boating to pony rides. At the end of the day, there will be a fireworks show visible from the Marina at 9:30 p.m.

If BART is still on strike, several modes of transportation to the event are still available.

For those driving, parking passes at the Marina will cost $15 for the day; however, no vehicles will be allowed in or out after 7 p.m. until the event is over. There will also be paid parking at nearby Golden Gate Fields racetrack with shuttle service to the event.

Although it will be a holiday, AC Transit will run until 6:30 p.m. Cyclists will also have the option of free-of-charge valet parking at Richmond Spokes near Adventure Playground at the Marina.

In addition to the Berkeley Marina festival, two smaller events highlighting the cultural diversity of America will be offered.

From noon to 5 p.m., the exhibit “Our Many Cultures” will be open to the public at no cost at Expressions Gallery, located at 2035 Ashby Ave. The exhibit highlights the many cultures present in America and in the world.

Kala Art Institute, located at 2990 San Pablo Ave., will also offer free admission from noon to 5 p.m. to the exhibit “Freedom of Expression, The Work of Enrique Chagova.”

“Freedom of Expression” explores the history of Mexico and current political events with ties to American history and popular culture, specifically around colonial conquest and current issues surrounding the U.S.-Mexico border.

For more information, see the event calendar of visitberkeley.com.

Contact Nico Correia at [email protected]