How to get #TURNTUP when you’re sober

Gabrielle Nguyen/Staff

Sometimes, sober fun can be REAL fun. And we know for sure that most of you Cal students like to have REAL fun. But if you’re one of those people who think the idea that “sober fun can be fun” is the funniest joke you’ve ever heard, we understand your point of view. For some, this comes easier than for others. But if you’re lookin’ to get down with some friends who are under the influence — of any substance — WITHOUT having to be under that same influence yourself, especially for you cynical folk, we’ve got a few tips for you:

1. Go in with the mindset that nothing will bother you. That means intoxicated people, high people and just plain stupid people. Going into a situation, especially a party, with the understanding and acceptance that people are going to be relatively wacko will allow you to enjoy yourself without worrying about being annoyed. Being the extremely cynical one at the party is usually an automatic fun-canceler, and that is something you want to avoid.

2. Be the DJ. At casual hangouts and even parties, you’ll find that there will be an auxiliary cord hooked up to some speakers just waiting for music to be plugged in. Offer your iPhone, Android or other Diddly-doo-da to play the pump-up music you enjoy. Once the party starts rolling, most party-goers will be down for any kind of fun music. This’ll pump up the pizzarty, and you’ll get to listen to all your favorite tunes!

3. Avoid being the babysitter. In order to do this, you might have to be a little more careful with choosing your parties. Getting #TURNTUP with friends whom you KNOW will be passed out, vomiting, crying or all three at the same time by the end of the night is not the best choice. Party with friends who, even though they are getting a little drizzy drE out there, know how to pace themselves and always have a good time. This way, you get to get real cray without having play “parent.”

4. Just do it. Dance like nobody’s watching. As stupid and hackneyed as that sentence is, just do it. Don’t let the haters stop you from werkin’ it. We are dead serious. When you’re out there on that dance floor, that concert arena or the living room of your best friend’s apartment, you are Beyonce. That is all.

Do you have any advice for the sober party-goer? Let us know in the comments!

Contact Gabrielle Nguyen at [email protected]