BART strike ends in 30-day temporary agreement

Alex Mousouris/Staff

BART officials and worker unions reached a temporary agreement Thursday night that will extend current contracts for workers for 30 days, signaling the end of a four-day strike.

The BART transit system resumed service at 3 p.m. on Friday.

However, contract negotiations between BART and its unions have not yet been resolved and will continue until an agreement is made.

“Despite lots of hard work, BART and its unions have failed to come to an agreement on contract issues that matter to all of us today and into the future,” said Grace Crunican, BART general manager. “We still have a wide gap of disagreements to bridge over the next 30 days.”

Leo Ruiz, a foreworker representative for BART union Amalgamated Transit Union 1555, said he hopes that an agreement will be made between BART and the unions.

“We’re hoping that the district BART will negotiate in good faith,” Ruiz said. “If they do, we should have no problem coming to a resolution.”

Cynthia Ramirez, who works at Peet’s Coffee & Tea in the Downtown Berkeley BART station, said she was concerned about getting paid for the days she could not work during the strike when the station was closed.

“We don’t know if we’re going to get paid for that, so that’s how (the strike) affected us,” Ramirez said.

Despite the potential losses faced by Peet’s Coffee & Tea from the strike, supervisor Helen Slomowitz expressed support for the BART workers’ cause.

“In my opinion, it’s good,” Slomowitz said. “It wasn’t good for the passengers … but for the BART (workers), I think that it’s fair to fight what they deserve.”

An additional strike has not been planned at this time and will not be necessary if an agreement is made, according to Ruiz.

“It all depends on BART (administration) — it is on them,” Ruiz said. “We didn’t want to strike in the first place.”

Jennie Yoon is the assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected]