UC Regents discuss UCSC apartment funding, UCSD health system funding

At its meeting on Tuesday, the UC Board of Regents decided to increase funding to repair campus apartments at UC Santa Cruz and to increase funding for an expansion of hospital facilities at the UC San Diego Health System.

The Infill Apartments at Kresge, Porter, Cowell and Stevenson colleges on the UC Santa Cruz campus were constructed in 2004 and have suffered extensive water damage due to faulty exterior waterproofing systems and shower assemblies. The university is currently involved in litigation to recover the money from the damage associated with construction defects.

According to John Barnes, associate vice chancellor for physical and planning and construction, the project will be carried out in two phases. In the first phase, the damage at Kresge and Stevenson colleges will be addressed, and in the second phase, Porter and Cowell colleges will be repaired.

The project has a budget of $32,982,000 and will be funded by the Colleges, Housing and  Educational Services Auxiliary Reserves and external financing.

“Though the fee of this project seems high, I feel it’s necessary to ensure safety and to provide us with the manpower to put together a set of documents that are biddable,” Barnes said.

According to UC Santa Cruz Chancellor George Blumenthal, the project covers about 160,000 square feet and about 246 bath and shower assemblies will be examined.

“While we have done extensive forensic investigation, we may encounter additional damage,” Blumental said. “We need to do this project as soon as possible to prevent further damage. We need to create a safe and healthy environments for students.”

While the project is being carried out, displaced students will be placed in two-person rooms that will be made to accommodate three people, according to Blumenthal.

Repairs at Stevenson and Kresge colleges will occur from August 2013 through June 2014, and repairs at Cowell and Porter will occur from July 2014 through May 2015.

Later in the meeting, the regents approved an increase in funding for UCSD Medical Center East Campus Bed Tower, now called the Jacobs Medical Center, to increase inpatient beds, medical units and operating rooms. According to the agenda item posted before the meeting, the increase in funding was $141,460,000.

Contact Jane Nho at [email protected]