Unmasking Robert Galbraith will surprise you

Avid readers are surprised to discover just how wonderful Robert Galbraith’s breakout novel, “The Cuckoo’s Calling,” turned out to be. In fact, Galbraith’s storytelling was so incredible for a first novel that it was hard to believe that this was a first book of a fledgling author. Before you ask who the hell Robert Galbraith is, we would just like to acknowledge that you are more than familiar with this author than you think. It is the one and only master of wonderful and unexpected surprises: J.K. Rowling.

As soon as Harry Potter fans and bookworms discovered that “Robert Galbraith” served as J. K. Rowling’s pseudonym, book sales for “The Cuckoo’s Calling” skyrocketed. But among the talk and sales of her latest book, we can’t help but remember the adventures of our beloved hero, Harry Potter. J. K. Rowling’s (almost) well-kept secret reminds us at The Daily Clog, and Harry Potter fans, just how much we love her writing (especially in the Harry Potter novels):

We’ll always believe in magic. If you grew up with the Harry Potter novels, then you shared in the nationwide heartbreak when you didn’t receive a letter to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. But this didn’t stop us from believing in Rowling’s magical world. Now that the Harry Potter book and movie series have concluded,  J.K. Rowling gave the now grown-up Harry Potter fans a sweet reminder that no matter how familiar you may feel with your world, some things aren’t quite what meets the eye.

Harry’s humility. Everyone in the wizarding world knew Harry’s name, yet Harry was just Harry. Although he couldn’t avoid fighting against Voldemort, he never took a significant amount of time basking in his fame. In Harry’s character, we can clearly see the heart of J.K. Rowling. Rowling chose to use the pseudonym in order to strip away the value of her name and her world-famous book series. She wanted to put another story out there into the world and receive genuine feedback. Although her God-given talent could not be hidden for long, we commend Rowling’s act in still having the simple pleasure of having a story speak for itself, completely untainted by fame and fortune.

It’s absolutely amazing. The great Rowling does it again, and when we discovered exactly who Robert Galbraith was, our smiles were almost as big as yours.

What are your thoughts on J.K. Rowling writing under a pseudonym? Share with us in the comments!

Image source: (nz)dave under Creative Commons 

Contact Karen Kwaning at [email protected]