Regents discuss online education, world food center at morning session

Sureya Melkonian/Staff

Nathaniel Solley/Staff

Nathaniel Solley/Staff

Nathaniel Solley/Staff

The UC Board of Regents meeting will be held from July 16 to July 18 at the UCSF Mission Bay campus.

The morning session of the UC Regents meeting on Thursday featured discussions on online education and the establishment of a world food center at UC Davis.

The session opened with a public comment period. Assemblymember Paul Fong, D-Cupertino, emphasized the need for an improved pathway for community college students to transfer into the University of California.

AFSCME Local 3299 President Kathryn Lybarger highlighted the increase in executive compensation since 2008, the doubling of UC debt burden and the thousands of layoffs of UC workers.

“California is watching to see if now is the time we get our priorities straight,” Lybarger said. “It’s time that we do.”

Several students also spoke about animal abuse within the UC system, chanting, “It’s not science — it’s violence.”

The regents then approved the appointment and compensation for co-acting chief investment officers Melvin Stanton and Randolph Wedding.

UC Provost Aimee Dorr gave a presentation regarding online education efforts. Dorr presented the number of students enrolled and courses offered online while the regents asked questions about potentially extending the online program to community college students and using the program for remediation.

UC President Mark Yudof stated that there will soon be more money entering the program but that they needed to get away from the raw numbers.

“We will be discussing with students on campus,” Yudof said. “They know the courses. They know how they are.”

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi then presented on the establishment of a world food center at the UC Davis campus. The center will focus on all aspects of food, specifically the nexus between food and health.

“The signature challenge we face is how we feed and nourish the world,” Katehi said. “More than a century of research and experience gives Davis the expertise to lead this discussion.”

Following Katehi’s presentation, the regents voted to amend the faculty code of conduct. The changes would protect faculty members’ rights to criticize the university and allow faculty to participate in shared governance.

Dorr then presented to the Committee on Long Range Planning about the annual University of California Accountability Report.

“Overall, the report finds that the university continues to maintain its historic levels of access, affordability and accountability,” Dorr said.

UC Regent Norman Pattiz then opened the meeting of the Committee on Oversight of the Department of Energy Laboratories and introduced two researchers from Los Alamos National Laboratory who discussed forest mortality and its future impacts on the world.

The session concluded with the regents passing a resolution in appreciation of Yudof, who is stepping down in August.

Contact Sohan Shah at [email protected].