BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 24, 2022

City replaces sign on University Avenue near recent hit-and-run

JULY 21, 2013

The city of Berkeley has replaced a previously stolen sign near the overpass of Interstate 80 at University Avenue where a fatal hit-and-run accident took place early on the morning of July 15.

The sign, which read “Pedestrians, bicycles, motor driven cycles prohibited,” was illegally removed and recently replaced, according to Pamela Embry, senior management analyst at the Berkeley city manager’s office.

Berkeley police confirmed the hit-and-run incident and are still looking for the suspect and a description of the vehicle. An officer discovered the victim’s body while driving on the overpass on patrol at 5:10 a.m. and called the Berkeley Fire Department for medical assistance.

The identity of the hit-and-run victim was revealed to be John Patrick Miller, a 46-year-old homeless man. Miller was identified Wednesday by the Alameda County Coroner’s Bureau. No updates on the driver or a description of the vehicle have been made at this time.

Embry said city staff is working on adding supplemental directional signs to guide pedestrians toward the Interstate 80 bridge at the end of Addison Street.
According to Embry, there have been no reported collisions involving pedestrians near the overpass since 2007.

“While we cannot predict how all members of the public may act, all pedestrians, bicyclists and those using motor-driven cycles should not use the overcrossing,” Embry said.

Contact Lydia Tuan at 

JULY 21, 2013