Kim Wilcox selected as next UC Riverside chancellor

Former Michigan State University Provost and Executive Vice President Kim Wilcox has been selected as the ninth chancellor of UC Riverside.

Wilcox will be replacing Jane Close Conoley, the interim chancellor, who has served since former chancellor Timothy White left the school to become chancellor of the California State University system at the end of December.

“My values and interests align perfectly with UC Riverside, one of the nation’s great research universities,” Wilcox said in a statement released Thursday. “I look forward to meeting with students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the larger community, to learning and exchanging ideas and to working toward making Riverside the best it can be.”

Wilcox, a professor of communicative sciences and disorders at Michigan State University, served as provost and executive vice president for eight years before stepping down on July 1.

He served as dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Kansas from 2002 to 2005 and as president and chief executive officer of the Kansas Board of Regents from 1999 to 2002.

“Kim Wilcox brings to the University of California distinctive expertise and interests that will serve the Riverside campus and the larger community exceedingly well,” said UC President Mark Yudof in a statement. “He has been a dedicated teacher, scholar and researcher who also excelled as an academic leader and chief executive, always maintaining his commitment to diversity and access to higher education.”

The UC Board of Regents will discuss Wilcox’s appointment and compensation at a special meeting on Aug. 8 and will consider the effective date of the appointment on Aug. 19.

Andrea Guzman is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected]