How to spend a somber day (or how to embrace the funk)

Sometimes we have those days that just aren’t like the others. It may be beautiful outside, and the sweet Berkeley summer air might still be mild, but for some reason, there’s something different about the way you feel. Perhaps today is a Monday. Perhaps your inspiration just isn’t on point today. Maybe there’s just nothing to do. Or maybe the fact that the fall semester is starting in a month has got you feeling “blah.” Whatever it may be, we all have those days, and often, when we do have them, it seems as if it’ll be impossible to escape that funk.

But maybe, just maybe, instead of escaping the funk, we can learn to embrace the funk.“What do you mean by ‘embrace the funk?'” you might ask. We mean, maybe it’s just one of those rainy days when, even if it it isn’t actually raining outside, it’s raining inside your soul (deep, we know). We understand that this is an overly exaggerated, melodramatic version of any blase day, but hey, we all have one of those days once in avwhile. Here are couple tips to help you embrace the funk:

1. Listen to your rainy-day music. Even if it’s not raining outside, rainy-day music will get you into any sort of pensive mood. Check out this “Playlist of the week” to get you started. Try putting in your headphones and staring outside of your window at people walking by. If you’re looking to get extra hardcore with your brooding, listen to “Mad World” by Gary Jules while doing one of the activities listed below.

2. Write a sad poem. Even if you’ve never written a day in your life, try writing a free-form poem about how life is currently raining on your soul. Make sure to write it on a Moleskine journal or something similar. Maybe even invest in a quill and some ink. Even if your poem doesn’t turn out very good, at least you’ll probably get a good laugh from it afterward.

3. Read a book. Reading is not overrated. Some of us do it more than others, and some of us should start doing it more. Check out “The Book Nook” if you’re looking for a good read for a somber day. For extra fun, try this: Read 10 pages of your book, peer outside your window, sigh audibly and repeat.

4. Put your fluffy robe on. Or your Snuggie. Whatever floats your boat. Try doing this and sitting next to your window with your book and a nice big cup of coffee or tea. If this makes you too hot, you can just sit naked by your window and rub yourself with ice instead, or you can tell your roommates you’re doing it because your heart is too cold and empty and that you’re trying to fix it (and do they think they can help?).

5. Go for a drive or a walk and listen to jazz. Jazz music is the perfect background music for any activity. And it’s the best music to listen to to make any slow day a little bit classier. Try out the Miles Davis and Django Reindhart and Stephane Grappelli Pandora stations and go for a drive or walk. Get into that Woody Allen film mood, stare at pedestrians crossing the street and admire other pensive thinkers. Trust us; you’ll find a ton around Berkeley.

6. Cry. We all need a good cry every once in a while. Do it for no reason. Who cares? Cry into your Snuggie. Make your roommates think you’re an emotionally unstable psycho (if you haven’t made them think so already with all of the other things we’ve suggested).

7. Laugh at yourself for doing all of these things. Seriously. At the end of one of these mopey, introspective days, a good laugh is all you need to finish it off. This will help you move on to the next day, which will hopefully be a little more pleasant than the last. Hopefully your roommates enjoy the laugh with you and haven’t put you out on the street by then.

Image source: CarbonNYC under Creative Commons

Contact Gabrielle Nguyen at [email protected]