Second suspect identified in the murder of Zontee Jones

A second suspect in the February homicide of 34-year-old Berkeley resident Zontee Jones was arrested earlier this month by San Diego police.

The suspect, 21-year-old Maurice Thomas, was arrested in San Diego on July 4, according to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats.

Lt. Jorge Duran of San Diego Police Department told Berkeleyside that Thomas was arrested on suspicion of being under the influence and possessing a controlled substance. Police later found during the booking process that Thomas was wanted in connection with the murder of Jones.

The Daily Californian could not reach San Diego Police Department for comment.

Jones was shot near the intersection of San Pablo Avenue and Delaware Street at 11:08 a.m on Feb. 4. Officers responded to the scene after receiving reports of shots fired. Jones was immediately transported to Highland Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The killing of Jones was Berkeley’s first homicide of 2013, followed by the July shooting of Jermaine Davis on Derby Street.

Thomas has been charged with the murder of Jones and has been held without bail in Santa Rita Jail in Dublin since July 15. He will enter a plea after arraignment at the Rene C. Davidson Courthouse in downtown Oakland on Aug. 5, Coats said.

On June 16, police also arrested Jevon Calland in West Berkeley in connection with the shooting.

Calland, Thomas and others allegedly planned beforehand to harm the victim. The day before the murder, Calland reportedly threatened Jones in front of witnesses. Both suspects allegedly carried firearms to the scene of the crime, but Thomas was allegedly responsible for shooting Jones.

Contact Madeleine Pauker at [email protected]