BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Strike averted as AC Transit and union reach agreement

ALEX MOUSOURIS | STAFF

AUGUST 07, 2013

An AC Transit strike has been averted following a tentative agreement between Amalgamated Transit Union Local 192 and AC Transit just an hour before workers threatened to strike.

The agreement will prevent AC Transit’s 181,000 daily riders from having to find alternative methods of transportation.

The new agreement allows a wage increase of 9.5 percent over the next three years and monthly health care contributions of $70, $140 and $180, respectively, for each of the three years.

“This was a long and often intense negotiation, and there are no winners or losers in its outcome,” said AC Transit general manager David Armijo in a press release. “We are happy we were able to get through process without any disruption in service. Clearly, both sides focused on what was best for the riders and taxpayers of this district and what is in the long-term interest of maintaining public transit for the communities we serve.”

The union, which represents 1,800 bus drivers and mechanics, had threatened to strike on Monday amid ongoing negotiations.

All services will continue running on their normal schedule.

More updates to follow.

Andrea Guzman is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected]

AUGUST 07, 2013