Future Mars inhabitants wanted for ‘Mars One’ project

US Department of Agriculture/Courtesy

Have you ever gotten tired of the planet and just wanted to up and leave? Well, your chance is here! The stuff of science fiction legend is set to come true: Humans have the opportunity to inhabit Mars. The Mars One project was established to create the first human settlement on another planet. Founders of the Mars One project are currently looking for volunteers to leave for the red planet sometime in 2022 (they are to land on their new home seven months later, in 2023). Although this sounds like the vacation of a freaking lifetime, there’s quite a suspicious catch: Space travelers are to NEVER return.

Although this all seems like a plot of an upcoming space movie, Mars One CEO Bas Lansdorp stated in a CNN interview, “It’s up to the people on Mars to decide what to do with their dead.” So it’s true: People are really to never return. But there are actually tons of people who don’t give a shit! More than 100,000 people have already registered and expressed that they would love to leave Earth and never return. I’m sure all of us have had the same sentiments — maybe not so much to this extreme. However, the company expressed that it would like to put a reality TV show to all of this. We’re not sure if watching every move of a permanent human colony on Mars until the members died would be interesting, but it definitely has our attention. Perhaps it could be another endeavor of the “Survivor” franchise. We can see it now: “Survivor: the Red Planet.”

So if you don’t think you’d miss Disneyland, the beach or Top Dog or if you’re running out of post-graduation plans, it’s very possible for you to leave to Mars. Applying and registration for any U.S. citizen older than 18 costs $36.

We’re not sure how we feel about this. This all seems awesome, scary, suspicious and then some, but the Mars One project is definitely an interesting idea. Although it may never follow through or may all be a grand hoax, it goes to show that many people are definitely over this planet.

Would you ever consider living on Mars and never returning to Earth? Share your feelings in the comments!

Image source: United States Department of Agriculture under Creative Commons 

Contact Karen Kwaning at [email protected]