UC Berkeley places fifth in national university rankings

Dean Ignacio/File

UC Berkeley retained its fifth-place position in Washington Monthly’s national university ranking released Monday.

Between 2011 and 2012, UC Berkeley fell from third to fifth place in the annual ranking, which considers factors such as the recruitment and graduation of low-income students, the amount of research expenditures and the engagement of students in community service, among other factors.

UC schools claimed four of the top 10 spots in the 2013 ranking, with UC San Diego and UC Riverside taking first and second, respectively, and UCLA placing 10th.

Overall, UC Berkeley scored a 92 out of 100, receiving high marks in categories including the number of science and engineering doctorates awarded and the number of faculty members in national academies.

Both UC San Diego and UC Riverside scored higher than UC Berkeley in the social mobility category. The two had higher percentages of students receiving Pell Grants, lower net costs and higher actual graduation rates compared with predicted rates than UC Berkeley.

Eight UC schools ranked in the top 100 national universities. UC Santa Barbara came in at No. 22, UC Davis at No. 23, UC Santa Cruz at No. 65 and UC Irvine at No. 84.

Megan Messerly is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @meganmesserly.