BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Swastika scratched into door at Clark Kerr Campus

SEPTEMBER 03, 2013

The third hate-related incident on campus within the past four weeks was reported to UCPD by a Clark Kerr Campus residential adviser Sunday.

According to the UCPD crime alert, the vandalism of an interior door of Building 7 at Clark Kerr occurred between 4:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. The door had scratch marks on it depicting a swastika and two phallic symbols. The perpetrator is unknown.

This incident is the second reported hate-related vandalism to occur at Clark Kerr in the past three weeks. Between Aug. 24 and 28, homophobic remarks and a phallic symbol were drawn on a flier in a unisex restroom in Building 3.

On Aug. 14, a UC Berkeley custodian found a racial epithet he believed was directed at him drawn on the chalkboard in a Wheeler Hall classroom.

UCPD Lt. Eric Tejada said the department has been looking into each of the three incidents and has concluded that they are unrelated.

According to Tejada, there were six reported hate-related incidents on campus in 2012, and there have been four reported hate-related incidents so far this year.

Contact Sophie Mattson at 

SEPTEMBER 05, 2013