Calapalooza 2013 in photos

Arya Aliabadi/File

As UC Berkeley kicks into high gear with the fall semester, we at the Daily Clog took a look at the best moments from Calapalooza, Berkeley’s annual student fair. Hosted by the LEAD center, Cal’s biggest day for student organizations and clubs featured almost 400 groups tabling from the intersection of Bancroft and Telegraph to the steps of Wheeler Hall. On the steps of Sproul, 16 performance groups drummed, slammed and Bollywood-danced for thousands of students.

1)  Sather Gate flooded with students.

2) Cal Raijin Taiko performs on Lower Sproul.

3) “I’ve been here for hours,” said Kevin Chen of the Kendo Club. “It’s very squished, but at the same time, it’s so great. When asked about his passion for kendo, Chen responded, “I enjoy poking people.”

4) In full-body costumes, club representatives vie to recruit new members.

DSC_0049DSC_0040

5) A cotton candy machine in front of Golden Bear Cafe produces sweets throughout the event.

6) Students head for Lower Sproul.

7) The Campanile and Oski make a special Calapalooza appearance.

DSC_0044DSC_0139

8) A student holds up a sign for the Taiwanese American Student Association.

9) (Left) A student plays a janggu drum for onlookers. (Right) A lion dancer performs.

DSC_0104DSC_0098

10) Club representatives pass out fliers. According to LEAD Center Director Jamie Riley, about 2,500 to 3,000 items were distributed from the ASUC Auxiliary table alone.

11) Students get ready for the 6 p.m. rally.

12) Members from The [M]ovement dance to Rihanna and Michael Buble.

13) Almost 40 dancers from The [M]ovement made an appearance on the Sproul Hall stage.

14) Shaved ice striped in blue and gold.

15) Preparations for Calapalooza began the day after Cal Day. A small team of six people at the ASUC Auxiliary oversaw the entire event.

17) Students await the 6 p.m. rally. 

18)  Why a banana suit? Victoria Kaestner yells, “To get attention for our club!”

Contact Alex Mabanta at [email protected]