Pac-12 Power Rankings: Week 2

Kore Chan/Staff

1. Oregon (1-0)

So far, so good. In Oregon’s 66-3 drubbing of Nicholls State this past weekend, the Ducks picked up right where they left off under new head coach Mark Helfrich, compiling 772 (!) yards of total offense in the romp. Obviously, Nicholls State isn’t Alabama, but it was surely a nice sight for Duck fans to see the offense humming on all cylinders under the new regime.

Michael Rosen

2. Stanford (0-0)

The Red Army held steady last weekend, mostly because they didn’t play. They play San Jose State Saturday at 8 pm. PST.

Michael Rosen

3. Washington (1-0)

Apparently quarterback Keith Price has decided to be good again. After a thoroughly underwhelming 2012 campaign, the senior lit up Boise State for 324 yards and pair of scores in leading the Huskies to a 38-6 win in Seattle. He’ll need to maintain that level of play if Washington is to contend in the Pac-12 North.

— Connor Byrne

4. UCLA (1-0)

Brett Hundley might be the best quarterback in the conference. Apologies to Oregon’s Marcus Mariota and Washington’s Keith Price, but Hundley was looking like Cam Newton 2.0 in UCLA’s 58-20 win over Nevada. The redshirt sophomore threw for 223 yards and two touchdowns, while picking up 63 yards and two more TD’s on the ground.

Michael Rosen

5. Arizona State (0-0)

Taylor Kelly helped his extremely dark horse Heisman campaign with five touchdown passes Thursday night in a 55-0 win against Sacramento State. Sacramento State is not as good as Ohio State.

Michael Rosen

6. USC (1-0)

Now we know why it took Lane Kiffin so long to pick a starter quarterback. Neither Cody Kessler or Max Wittek were particularly impressive in their debuts against Hawaii — which might have one of the worst defenses in college football — going a combined 15 for 29 with 172 yards. The kind of play isn’t going to cut it for an increasingly impatient fanbase.

Connor Byrne

7. Arizona (1-0)

The Wildcats play UNLV on Saturday, looking to improve on an encouraging start.

Michael Rosen

8. Cal (0-1)

Despite losing a tight contest to Northwestern, true freshman quarterback Jared Goff passed for 445 yards — the second most in school history — and the receiving tandem of Chris Harper and Bryce Treggs combined for 24 receptions and 2 touchdowns. If not for two fluky interceptions the Bears very easily could have upset the Wildcats. Still, Cal’s defense allowed over 500 yards to Northwestern’s offense and it just lost safety Avery Sebastian for the season, who accounted for 11 tackles and one interception before leaving the game.

Sean Wagner-McGough

9. Utah (1-0)

In their season opener, the Utes edged out in-state rival, Utah State, behind quarterback Travis Wilson’s 302 passing yards and two touchdowns. The sophomore didn’t throw any picks in the season opener and averaged almost 11 yards per completion. The defensive unit still needs to be improved, however, as Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton picked it apart to the tune of 31 completions and 314 yards, and also accounted for 85 yards on the ground.

— Sean Wagner-McGough

10. Oregon State (0-1)

On Saturday, the Beavers put on one of the worst defensive showings in recent history, allowing an FCS team to put up 49 points and 625 yards on their home field. There were problems across the board, but the secondary looked slow and was almost always playing out of position, surrendering a staggering 13.2 yards per pass attempt.

Connor Byrne

11. Colorado (1-0)

It may be time for Colorado to climb out of the Pac-12 cellar. In a 41-27 victory over in-state rival (?) Colorado State on Saturday, the Buffs’ offense showed that it will be nothing like the clogged toilet it was in 2011 and 2012. Quarterback Connor Wood tossed three touchdowns, and Paul Richardson picked up 200 receiving yards in the convincing win.

Michael Rosen

12. Washington State (0-1)

Well, at least the Cougars are playing hard. After falling to Auburn 31-24 in their season debut, Cougars head coach Mike Leach praised his team’s effort against the Tigers, which is a step in the right direction after the debacle that was last season. But besides the effort, it doesn’t look like much else has changed for Washington State. Quarterback Connor Halliday, despite passing for 344 yards, essentially “Coug’d” the game away with his three interceptions, and the special teams and defense allowed a 100 yard kick return and a 75 yard touchdown run, respectively.

Sean Wagner-McGough

Contact Daily Cal Sports at [email protected].