NYFW: Naeem Khan, The Row, J. Crew

Kim Weston/Courtesy

New York Fashion Week is upon the industry again. Twice a year the fashion extravaganza descends on Lincoln Center with its dressed-to-the-nines entourage – designers, models, photographers, editors, and (increasingly) bloggers.

This NYFW I’ve compiled my top three favorite shows outlining the trends and to-do’s for next spring. Whether you decide to go with peasant dresses (a la Naeem Khan) or belted, languid maxis (like the Olsen twins’ collection The Row) you’ll be sure to turn more than a few heads.

Naeem Khan

With a nod to Frida Kahlo, Naeem Khan’s collection this spring included trumpet skirts, peasant tops and brightly embroidered blouses. Inspired by the Latin world, Khan designed loose, comfortable-looking gowns with graceful silhouettes. The light, airy looks featured a lacey bridal gown that was rather couture-like for a ready-to-wear show.

The braided up-do’s (an iconic Frida feature) were a nice finishing touch. Khan’s collection had such a transportive quality that while browsing the looks I almost felt like I was in Mexico City’s La Casa Azul. All that was missing from the show was the infamous unibrow.

KIM_7030.450x675

KIM_6988.450x675

KIM_6577.450x675

The Row

The Olsen twins have their hands full. Designing for both The Row and Elizabeth & James (named after their siblings) has kept the dynamic duo busy for the last few years. That hasn’t jeopardized their aesthetic and work ethic though. For The Row this spring, Ashley and Mary-Kate showed tasseled dresses, sheer silks and mohair embroidery. The vibe was that of an eclectic traveler wandering the Silk Road. The looks were layered – leather laser-cut over bandeaus, a gorgeous shearling coat over a monochrome sleeveless dress. Their inspiration seemed just as layered – the desert, Morocco, a hint of the Far East. This season is also noteworthy as it is the twins’ first foray into shoes. The leather loafers and mules (designed by Enzo Bonafe) are already garnering enthusiasm from dedicated sole-seekers.

TheRow_021_1366.450x675

TheRow_009_1366.450x675

TheRow_013_1366.450x675 

J. Crew

Polished beach attire has never looked so good. J. Crew dove back into summer mode for this spring’s collection with neoprene skirts, Hawaiian-prints and tapered floral pants. J. Crew seemed to look directly at surf culture for inspiration. Graphic tees paired with more formal (albeit still sunny) pieces reigned. The brand has noticeably undergone a mild transformation this season compared to the last few as the clothes have become less for the fashion-types and directed more toward the modern, everyday woman. This season is definitely wearable – good news for college students!

Jcrew_014_1366.450x675

Jcrew_011_1366.450x675

Jcrew_001_1366.450x675