Suspect arrested in connection with Berkeley’s third homicide of the year

A San Leandro resident was arrested Wednesday in connection with the August murder of a Berkeley resident, according to a Berkeley Police Department crime alert.

Krishna Ferreira, 23, was arrested and booked into Santa Rita Jail in connection with the murder of 24-year-old Dustin Bynum, according to the alert. Detectives have been collecting evidence and pursuing leads in relation to Bynum’s murder since August.

On the evening of Aug. 1, BPD patrol officers responded to multiple reports of shots fired, with a victim down on the 1800 block of San Pablo Avenue. Officers arrived on scene and discovered Bynum suffering from gunshot wounds. Bynum was transported by Berkeley Fire Department to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The suspect was located and arrested by BPD  in San Leandro, the crime alert said.

Ferreira is scheduled for arraignment Sept. 12 at 2 p.m. at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Downtown Oakland, and he remains in custody without bail, according to inmate records of the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.

Bynum’s murder was Berkeley’s third this year. On Sunday, an adult male was shot and killed in West Berkeley at 1400 Eighth St., marking Berkeley’s fourth homicide of the year.

Matt Trejo covers crime. Contact him at [email protected].