What does it feel like to stand before a crowd of 63,000 wearing baggy pants, a lumpy sweater and a hairy American Grizzly mask on the hottest day in November? Step into the (size 15!) shoes of Oski, UC Berkeley’s beloved school mascot. For sports fans at Cal, Oski is a perennial figure reliably found playing pranks on the crowd and running around one of the largest football stadiums in the United States. But for all his demagoguery, Oski’s humble origins stem from shy and quiet engineer William Rockwell. Sound familiar? Here are 10 more things you never knew about the world’s most awesome Golden Bear.
1) He officiates weddings. Take that, Stanford Tree.
2) He stars in numerous fights songs.
3) He has his own line of collectible bobbleheads. The tree has nothing.
8) Oski is forbidden from fighting with Stanford Tree. But we all know Oski would win anyways.
9) Oski is also prohibited from throwing pies at opposing chancellors.
10) The 1999 ASUC almost overhauled Oski’s 60-year-old costume design. Luckily, they didn’t follow Stanford’s example.
Image source: John Martinez Pavliga under Creative Commons.