Fan Huang’s Picks of the Week

Zackery Michael/Courtesy

Jhumpa Lahiri’s “The Lowland”

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Jhumpa Lahiri will release her second novel Tuesday. Taking place in India and the United States, the story focuses on two brothers from Calcutta and their separate paths. One joins a radical Naxal movement, and the other becomes a scientist in the United States. Lahiri’s lyrical prose will both haunt and dazzle readers with its poignancy and complex characters.

Robert Reich’s “Inequality for All”

Our very own Robert Reich, Chancellor’s Professor of Public Policy and a renowned political economist, stars in one of the most important films of the year. “Inequality for All,” which won a Sundance award, deals with one of America’s most pressing issues: income disparity. It presents an informative and nonpartisan look at the nation’s economy and the importance of the middle class.

Watershed Environmental Poetry Festival

The 18th annual poetry festival will feature readings by Pulitzer Prize winners Gary Snyder and Robert Hass as well as many other poets. With an environmentally conscious theme and jazz music from the Barry Finnerty Trio, this event is a perfect way to spend a warm Saturday afternoon. The festival will take place Saturday at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park, and admission is free.

Arctic Monkeys at the Fox Theater

These British rock stars will make their way to the East Bay for their worldwide tour to promote their newest and most eclectic album, AM. The band’s performances, with an infectious energy stemming from their irreverent humor and dynamic melodies, will be highly entertaining to watch. They will be playing at the Fox Theater on Friday.