A glance at Oakland Art Murmur galleries

Warehouse 416

Warehouse 416 brings together Oakland artists and entrepreneurs in an open, creative space. At Friday’s opening party for “Town Business,” be on the lookout for photographer Lauren Crew, who specializes in gorgeous, intimate portraits, and Doug Rhodes, whose acrylic and mixed-media surrealist pieces draw inspiration from humanity’s ability to understand Mother Nature. If you get hungry, grab some falafel and boozy cupcakes from LIBA and Bump City Bakery to satisfy your craving. With dj fflood as the backdrop to this mesh of local innovation and creativity, it’s sure to be a good time.

Mercury 20

Jill McLennan trespassed through construction zones and graffiti-plastered urban areas for the sake of art. In her Mercury 20 exhibit, she addresses the relationship between modernity and untamed nature, delving into the tensions of daily life through oil-on-canvas paintings. Some pieces depict cranes in gritty city scenes stripped of natural landscape. As McLennan said of her work on her website, her artwork depicts “human society throughout the development of industry and technology.” The artist will be at the gallery for Saturday Stroll at 4 p.m. to further discuss these two elements of society.

Vessel Gallery

Combining the motions of everyday life with visual imagery of subatomic movement, “Co-Motion,” Vessel Gallery’s newest creative installment, tells a dualistic story that draws a parallel between daily activities and the invisible world of physics. Artists Cheryl Calleri and Thekla Hammond have collaborated with musician Armando Mafufo for the installation to bring a moving video production to the gallery. Images reflected onto moving plexiglass panels evoke a kaleidoscope-in-an-urban-jungle effect. Though the tandem installation showcases the collaboration process, the individual artists also have singular shows that range from expressions on the nervous system to memory snapshots.

Aggregate Space Gallery

Just as the French philosopher Voltaire viewed the ideal man as a “noble savage,” artist Brynda Glazier understands that man lives agreeably with nature, science and poetry. Her Star-Wars-meets-Pokemon sculptures at Aggregate Space Gallery are full-sized ceramic figures that illustrate human intimacy. Glazier, who earned her Master of Fine Arts from the San Francisco Art Institute in 2010, believes her work “bridges the uncertainties related to utopian ideals and the dystopian qualm by challenging the societal standards of beauty and the sublime,” as she expressed on her website.