Michelle Lin’s Picks of the Week

The Weinstein Company/Courtesy

‘Beautiful: The Carole King Musical’

A Grammy legend will be gracing the Bay Area this week, but only as a fictional portrayal. “Beautiful: The Carole King Musical,” starring Tony nominee Jessie Mueller in the titular role as well as Jake Epstein (Yes, from “Degrassi: The Next Generation”!), will open at SHN Curran Theatre in San Francisco on Tuesday. This will be the only pre-Broadway run before the musical moves to the Broadway stage in November.

Fiona Apple at Zellerbach

Come Tuesday night, Grammy-winning artist Fiona Apple and frequent collaborator Blake Mills will be playing a joint performance at Zellerbach Hall on campus. Berkeley is the fourth stop on their “Anything We Want Tour,” which kicked off in Portland, Ore., last Thursday What better way to take a study break in the midst of midterm season than to spend the evening being serenaded by Fiona freaking Apple?

‘CBGB

The film telling the story of the legendary New York City club CBGB, where musical icons such as the likes of Patti Smith, Blondie and the Ramones first got their starts, will open in theaters this coming Friday. Best of all, it is a chance for Harry Potter fans to catch professor Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) and Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) reunite on the big screen — this time not as robed wizards but as big names from the ’70s.

Mill Valley Film Festival

Named one of the top 10 American film festivals, the 36th Mill Valley Film Festival is running through Sunday. Not only will new, highly anticipated films such as “August: Osage County” and “Effie Gray” be premiering at the festival — there will also be a screening of “Star Wars: Episode VI — Return of the Jedi” in honor of its 30th anniversary. Ben Stiller, Zoolander himself, will even be dropping by the closing-night party. Consider this our very own Cannes.