BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 07, 2022

4 GIFs to help you make friends after freshman year

OCTOBER 09, 2013

Freshman year, everyone is eager and excited to meet their new classmates. But friendships created in classes and dorms during your first year may seem to evaporate as everyone becomes busy and leaves the confines of dorm life. The question is, what can we as individuals do to expand our horizons? It’s not impossible, but it takes a very specific mindset and some directed perseverance.

1. Be proactive.

tumblr_m1irenYg6n1rn95k2o1_500

Instead of expecting people to be uber friendly in the beginning, go into conversations looking to be the friendly person. Not everyone will want to talk, but don’t take that personally. The more you approach people, the easier this will become.

2. Join new clubs.

tumblr_lykr1hTPve1rn95k2o1_500

Going to new organizations and being receptive to talking (and listening) is the best way to meet new friends. Relationships are more likely to happen within venues specifically designed to bring people together.

3. Invite people who don’t know each other to house parties.

tumblr_lzbha781Yi1rn95k2o1_400

Even if this seems weird, you’ll be providing an invaluable service to the people you know by exposing them to different groups.

4. Organize large group outings to do fun things for a discount.

tumblr_lyn59hBJAi1rn95k2o1_500

If you’ve ever wanted to go skydiving or ziplining, organizing a a group trip can be a cheaper way to experience these things. You’ll make great memories together in the process.

Image sources: Derrick Coetzee, gif 1, gif 2, gif 3, gif 4

Contact Ji-Min Lee at [email protected]

OCTOBER 09, 2013