Cal volleyball takes out Colorado to move above .500 in conference play

Alex Turney/Staff

The Buffaloes came into Haas on Wednesday night riding somewhat of a hot streak.

The Bears shut that down quick. And they made it look easy.

The Cal women’s volleyball team beat Colorado in three easy sets, earning their third Pac-12 win of the season. The Bears (10-4, 3-2 Pac-12) started the game somewhat flat, but any flatness was soon dissipated as Cal asserted their dominance over the Buffaloes (11-4, 3-2 Pac 12), both offensively and defensively.

Leading the defensive side for the Bears was freshman libero Maddy Kerr with 12 digs and sophomore Mary McKennon with 10. Sophomore middle blocker Lara Vukasovic also helped out with a total of four blocks, and Cal’s defense  was able to keep the Buffaloes to a .144 hitting percentage.

As always, on the offensive end senior outside hitter Adrienne Gehan led the team with 15 kills and a .361 hitting percentage. Vukasovic was dominant on all aspects of the court tonight, adding 8 kills of her own.

With the Buffaloes coming into Haas after upsetting the then-No. 1 Washington last week, Cal was looking to prove that they were able to compete with the best, especially after losing in a close match to No. 2 USC last weekend. But despite the win for the Bears, the team felt like it wasn’t their best game.

“It maybe looked (easy), but it didn’t feel that way,” said head coach Rich Feller. “We had a hard time getting comfortable tonight. Fortunately the ball bounced our way a few of times, and we played up to our level a few times which I guess was the right times to do it.”

With a couple days off until their next game, the Bears are looking to regroup and regain the fire they had when competing against UCLA and USC last weekend. With a win against the Buffaloes, Cal was able to prove that their success last weekend was not a fluke.

“Even though we weren’t playing our best volleyball, (we were) doing the best we could do with the kind of spastic volleyball we were playing,” McKennon said. “We just really wanted to prove to everyone that we are Cal.”

Alicia Fong covers volleyball. Contact her at [email protected]