The best concert halls in the Bay in fall 2013

As college students, we know finding the time and money to devote to an evening of live music can be difficult. But as a resident of the Bay Area, it is simply a failure of resources to not take advantage of the nearby music scene. From the low-profile acts found at the aptly named Brick and Mortar Music Hall to the megastars that stop at the colossal Oracle Arena, the Bay Area offers concerts of every variety, many of which are actually easily accessible to the student body of UC Berkeley. This fall will close out a killer year of live shows with a strong lineup, and you should be sure to keep your eye on three BART-able venues for the majority of your live-music needs:

The Fillmore

A venue a little farther out than other similarly sized concert halls in San Francisco — but one of our favorites — the Fillmore is on any concert aficionado’s “Best in the Bay” list. With upcoming performances including Journeys Noise Tour, featuring 3OH!3, and a rare set by Third Eye Blind, we know you’ll be able to find something that fits your music style. In addition, the Fillmore is becoming a hub for new pop artists on the rise, as Lorde recently played a show last month and Icona Pop will grace the stage in December. The hall itself is set up well, with rich sound and a floor design that allows audience members to feel an intimate experience wherever they are located. One of San Francisco’s best offerings, the Fillmore’s shows will easily upgrade any night in the city by the Bay.

The Fillmore

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

This impressive 7,000-capacity venue won’t bust your bank account. Tickets to big-name acts such as Robin Thicke and Steve Aoki sell for only about $50. Named after the infamous concert promoter himself, the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium holds its own reputation for offering some truly notable acts. Upcoming shows include The Black Crowes, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and a special Halloween-night performance by the Flaming Lips and Tame Impala. The energy of the general-admission venue makes for a one-of-a-kind night every time you attend a show, and the big, open floor is perfect to go ballistic to your favorite songs on.

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

Fox Theater

Fox Theater is the best a UC Berkeley student can get. An intimate venue with reasonable priced tickets that is only 10 minutes away by BART, the Fox is where you should hope all your favorite bands choose to play when they frequent the Bay. The interior is beautiful and holds a truly unbeatable sound system as well as a tiered floor layout that makes any spot on the floor a great one from which to watch the show. Near an Umani Burger and a Home of Chicken and Waffles, the Fox has a leg up on any of its competition with its availability of pre-show grub. And with a great supply of upcoming acts this fall — including Jack Johnson, City and Colour, The Head and the Heart, Passion Pit, Iron and Wine, Zedd, CHVRCHES and Two Door Cinema Club — the Fox is easily the best-booked venue around. The concert hall is the only reason you need to decide to spend your weekend nights in Oakland instead of San Francisco.

The Fox Theater

Image Source:  Rob LeeCity Attorney of San FranciscoDonnaphoto, and NeitherFanboy under Creative Commons

Contact Pranav Trewn at [email protected]