Alec Smyth’s Picks of the Week

Charles Gatewood/Courtesy

Treasure Island Music Festival

The ever-growing Bay Area music festival returns this weekend with even bigger headliners, including Atoms for Peace and Animal Collective. With the San Francisco skyline as the most epic backdrop ever, the festival is a guaranteed good time. If you decide to splurge on the ticket, make sure you check out Disclosure’s set on Saturday — the duo’s funky beats will definitely get you in the dancing mood.

‘Porcile’ at the Pacific Film Archive

Regarded as one of Pier Paolo Pasolini’s most difficult and intriguing films, “Porcile” (Pigsty) is made up of two stories spliced together, somehow touching on everything from bestiality to psychoanalysis to the brutal effects of human isolation. If you leave the theater feeling like you want to curl up in a ball in an attempt to digest what you’ve just seen rather than meeting your friends at Cafe D, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Classical Revolution

A collection of classically trained musicians has decided to bring the symphony to the common people, meeting up every week in cafes, galleries and other small venues in the Bay Area to jam with other professional and amateur string musicians. Hit up Revolution Cafe on Monday to get in touch with your sophisticated side without having to shed your favorite cut-offs and Converse.

‘Charles Gatewood: 50 Years’

Launching his career with his black-and-white portrait of Bob Dylan smoking a cigarette, Gatewood entered the rock ’n’ roll world with force in the late ’60s. His work is on display this month at the Robert Tat Gallery, including his later shots of New York’s and San Francisco’s underground erotic cultures. If your mother is in town, it might be best to head to the de Young instead.

Contact Alec Smyth at [email protected].