Need candy in your life before Halloween? There’s a holiday for that.

Midterm season is upon us, and so any excuse to celebrate is 100 percentnecessary. Although it may not get you out of an 8 a.m. exam, this month has more than one holiday that gives you excuse to exploit your sweet tooth. That’s right, Oct. 14 is National Dessert Day, and the Clog is here to help you to celebrate it the right way.

For those of you looking to expand your confectionery horizons beyond the predictability of Berkeley’s go-to sweet shops (we’re looking at you, C.R.E.A.M. and Ici), check out these five lesser known but equally delicious dessert places.

Masse’s Pastries – 1469 Shattuck Ave.

Arguably the classiest pastry supplier in Berkeley, Masse’s menu is complete with everything from Passion Fruit White Chocolate Cake to Key Lime Meringue Tart and beyond. Although splurging on any of the menu items would be an appropriate way to celebrate National Dessert Day, Masse’s is famous for its macarons, so don’t miss your chance to grub on these tasty, trendy French pastries.

Macaron is French for delicious, right?

Macaron is French for ‘delicious,’ right?

Cinnaholic – 2132 Oxford St.

Even though everyone might not react enthusiastically to the idea of a vegan dessert, the concept of creating your own customizable cinnamon roll is one every Berkeley citizen can appreciate. If you aren’t up to the challenge of crafting your personal masterpiece, you can always opt for one of the specialty rolls, which include options such as Lemon Ginger S’more and Butterscotch Bananas Foster.

Cookie doughn't touch my cinnamon roll!!!

Cookie doughn’t touch my cinnamon roll!!!

Love at First Bite – 1510 Walnut St.

Everyone loves a good, old-fashioned cupcake, not to mention a solid bakery pun. Baked goods are the perfect expression of love, which isn’t a hard statement to get behind after trying L.A.F.B.’s Matcha Green Tea cupcake (a delicate green tea cake made with ceremonial matcha tea, topped with matcha-infused whipped cream).

Pretty in pink!

Pretty in pink!

The Xocolate Bar – 1709 Solano Ave.

Nothing goes better together than post-midterm sadness and chocolate, which is exactly why you should make a trip to The Xocolate Bar. Specializing in artisanal chocolates, this store makes delicious squares of happiness that are edible works of art.  Don’t miss their Lavendar-Walnut and Dulce de Leche bon bons!

Chocolate buddhas? This takes meditation to a whole new level.

Honeyberry – 2380 Telegraph Ave.

Obviously, a Clog post about Berkeley desserts wouldn’t be complete without the inclusion of a place that serves boba … Honeyberry is known for its delicious tea bases and an array of dessert types, including pastries (try the roti buns!), shaved ice and frozen yogurt. It might be the most efficient location to celebrate National Dessert Day, because its menu includes so many different types of sweet treats!

Beat that, Yogurtland.

Beat that, Yogurtland.

Image Source: Foodspotting,Cinnaholic , LoveAtFirstBite TheXocolateBar and Yelp under Creative Commons.

Contact Julia Higgins at [email protected]