We all know Sather Gate, the Campanile and that statue of Pappy Waldorf — we’re pretty sure these campus symbols are featured in every brochure UC Berkeley has to offer. But what about all the other little tributes that mark our campus and recall its unique history? The adage “bigger isn’t better” is appropriate here. Check out some of Berkeley’s lesser-known monuments, ordered chronologically to reflect the historical events they memorialize.
Mr. Barrows’ bust
David Prescott Barrows was a political science professor at UC Berkeley and our university’s president from 1919 to 1923. We typically only go to Barrows Hall when we absolutely have to, but one day we noticed Barrows’ bust — near a trash can, sadly — when we weren’t rushing from section to section.
Sundial and Abraham Lincoln’s head
This sundial on the south side of the Campanile was donated by the graduating class of 1877. Abraham Lincoln’s head, a gift from a member of the class of 1896, peeks over the sundial. The bust is a reminder of Lincoln’s role in signing the Morrill Land-Grant Act of 1862, which, among other things, helped make the University of California possible. Lincoln looks over Moses Hall and South Hall, both former homes of architecture classes and administration.
You take the multiple bridges that cross Strawberry Creek for granted, but have you noticed the class of 1923 bridge near Stephens Hall?
Down the way from the Campanile, between Wheeler Hall and Doe Library, is a coppery water fountain donated by UC Berkeley’s class of 1940. Though we haven’t tested the water ourselves, we’d recommend just accepting it for its value as a piece of stone and metal.
Sculpted by Richard O’Hanlon and dedicated in 1961, this abstract metal art piece sits on Faculty Glade, overlooking the frolicking children of campus visitors and students who find Memorial Glade too mainstream for napping.
Also dubbed “Berkeley’s invisible monument,” this 6-inch circle of dirt, along with the 6-foot granite circle that surrounds it, gets stepped on daily by students rushing across Upper Sproul Plaza. But this circle was installed in 1989 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Free Speech Movement. The engraving on the sphere assures us that “this soil and the airspace extending above it shall not be a part of any nation and shall not be subject to any entity’s jurisdiction.”
Image source: Wayne Hsieh under Creative Commons
Contact Jessica Rogness at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jessarogness.