Pumpkin bread for Halloween

.

Even though Halloween is just around the corner, indulging your sweet tooth is a timeless tradition. So is indulging in absolutely delicious food such as this pumpkin bread, which will have you reaching for another slice the moment the first hits your tongue.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 ½ cups of sugar
  • ¾ cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3 ¼ shredded pumpkin (preferably fresh)
  • 1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (toasted about 400 degrees for approximately 4 minutes)

Equipment:

• 2 bowls (medium to large)
  • Nonstick 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan
  • Mixing spoon
  • Sifter

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt together into one bowl.
  • In the other bowl, beat the eggs until you have a smooth paste.
  • Mix the sugar and vegetable oil into the bowl, and continue mixing the contents until you have a smooth, lump-free paste.
  • Add the pumpkin seeds and shredded pumpkin into the bowl, and mix for approximately 2 minutes.
  • Transfer the sifted dry ingredients to the second bowl, and mix it until the contents of both bowls have properly combined into a smooth batter.
  • Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
  • Put the loaf pan in the oven for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. To check the bread’s progress, insert a toothpick or a knife. If the utensil comes out clean, the bread is done.
  • Allow the bread to cool completely (should take around 10 minutes).

If you don’t have a nonstick loaf pan, you can use a standard one; just grease it with butter or vegetable oil and flour. If you want to make your pumpkin bread a bit healthier, you can use whole-wheat flour instead of regular all-purpose flour. Not only is it delicious, but it is also moderately healthy, with one slice having only 205 calories. It’s a delicious holiday treat without any of the trick.

Recipe adapted from the Food Network. Image by LibAmanda under Creative Commons. 

Contact Spandana Singh at [email protected]