Junior national champion Maija Roses commits to Cal women’s swimming

Junior national champion Maija Roses will be wearing the blue and gold next fall when she takes the blocks for the Cal women’s swim team.

Over the summer, Roses was the USA Swimming National Champion in the 200-long-course-meter breaststroke and also competed in the 100-meter breaststroke. In September, she was named to the 2013-14 Junior National Team roster.

Roses, a senior at Cannon High School in Charlotte, N.C., has won the North Carolina state titles in the 100 breaststroke — in which she broke the state record — and the 200 individual medley. She also qualified for the 2012 Olympic trials in the 100- and 200-meter breaststroke events.

Charlotte news station WBTV reported in February that Roses had a 4.1 GPA. Of her decision to go to Cal, she told SwimSwam, “For me, the decision came down to how comfortable I felt with the team, coaches, academics and campus.”

Roses, an avid tweeter, shared her excitement with her followers. Her first tweet about her commitment to Cal, “Verbally committed to CAL Berkeley!!! LEHGOOOO!!!! #CallMeCub #CalSwimming,” was followed by another tweet that showed an Instagram photo of her in a Cal women’s swim T-shirt.

She wrote: “So happy I’m going to be spending my next 4 years at Cal Berkeley! I definitely think some things happen for a reason after this recruiting process! #CalBerkeley#Swimming.”

This year, Cal has seen great performances in the breaststroke from junior Yvette Kong and freshman Marina Garcia, so Roses’ addition to the team will only help to solidify the team’s breaststroke corps.

Roses will join Hawaiian Jasmine Mau, the number three 100-yard butterflier in the class of 2014 who committed earlier this month, as well as sprinters Cierra Runge, who committed in September, and Catherine Ladd, who committed in August, on next year’s team.

Shannon Carroll covers women’s swim. Contact her at [email protected]