How to spend Halloween in the city (for free)

As a child, the best part of Halloween — without question — was the free candy. While we still love treats as college students (let’s be real — as college students, we’re partial to any free food) we have a little more freedom in deciding how to spend our Halloween here in Berkeley. You could hit up frat row or have a low-key night with friends. If you want to get out of Berkeley, however, check out this list of free alternatives in San Francisco.

“Pirates of the Caribbean” Ship Tours, Period Costumes and Stories
Take an afternoon break and head over to Pier 70 to check out  the ship that was featured in “Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.”

tumblr_muzv28AzRz1slfajeo1_500

Truck or Treat 2013: Halloween Night Food Truck Bash
What says Halloween more than pumpkin sangria? It wouldn’t be a Bay Area Halloween without some delicious grub, and who can turn down costume contests and “DJs spinning awesome Halloween beats”? We know food trucks aren’t free, but with free candy, music and entertainment, this event will be fun for those looking to spend money or not.

tumblr_mvd30vdKVk1qadi39o1_250

Annual Halloween Ghost Walk at City Hall
The Bay could have a paranormal past. Don’t miss out on the chance to find out what spooked past San Franciscans (and maybe get spooked yourself)!

tumblr_mfr7giJfYY1rpeqp2o1_500

Halloween Flashdance: Free Outdoor Costume Dance Party
If you’re in the mood to be spontaneous, flash dancing is the way to go. This year, it’s so spontaneous that the location is being kept secret — for now, just make sure you have an awesome costume.

tumblr_mg7d9zX3Hc1rfvb9ro1_500

Image Sources: barb_ararisingdemonmelisandretotalsweetheartdestruction and moviepsycho 

Contact Sparsha Saxena at [email protected]