UC Board of Regents to convene Tuesday

The UC Board of Regents will convene this week for its November meeting in a three-day-long session that will focus on the university budget, private funding for the UC system and support for doctoral students.

The meeting will run Tuesday to Thursday at UCSF Mission Bay. The regents will first convene for an open session Tuesday afternoon at 1:45 p.m. They will discuss a preliminary budget for 2014-15, including a potential continuation of a tuition freeze for UC students, on Thursday.

This will be UC President Janet Napolitano’s first regents meeting as head of the 10-campus system. Napolitano’s role in deporting undocumented immigrants during her tenure as U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security and her lack of experience in academia have sparked opposition since she took office in late September, most recently during protests at Chancellor Nicholas Dirks’ inauguration at Zellerbach Hall on Friday.

On Tuesday, the regents will discuss a number of capital projects, including plans to build a Solar Energy Research Center at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Wednesday’s session will feature two discussions on private giving to the UC system and how to better recruit and retain doctoral students.

Each day will have a period for public comment at the beginning of open session. For the full agenda, click here.

Libby Rainey is the lead higher education reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @rainey_l.