Peggy Beim’s Picks of the Week

Murray Close/Courtesy

Cirque Du Soleil’s “Amaluna”

Cirque du Soleil has returned with the show “Amaluna” and is set to perform under the blue and yellow Big Top outside AT&T Park through Jan. 12. Directed by Tony Award winner Diane Paulus, the show transports audience members to a magical island ruled by goddesses and guided by lunar cycles. The mythical becomes the real as an epic love story is made into a visceral event.

Albert Hammond Jr. with Rathborne at Slim’s, SF

Albert Hammond Jr., guitarist and keyboardist of world-renowned indie rock band the Strokes, will grace an intimate audience at Slim’s in San Francisco, debuting his recently released five-track solo EP. Starting the evening is Rathborne, headed by lead singer and songwriter Luke Rathborne. The four-piece once opened for the Strokes, and judging by the success of its first LP, Soft, is a band to watch.

“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”

The second installment of “The Hunger Games” will hit theaters Friday as the beloved cast, headed by star Jennifer Lawrence, re-enters the harsh world of the Hunger Games for its 75th-year event. Judging by the success of the book trilogy and the first film, the movie premiere will likely draw a dedicated fan base and, with it, movie theater lines that wind around the block.

“Behind the scenes: Randy Thom on Sound Design”

This Thursday at the Berkeley Art Museum & Pacific Film Archive, sound designer Randy Thom, winner of two Academy Awards for “The Right Stuff” and “The Incredibles,” will lead a discussion on the art of sound design. Thom has experience building a range of evocative and subtle tracks for a variety of films, from Pixar productions to realist films such as David Lynch’s “Wild at Heart”, which will be screened after the discussion.

Contact Peggy Beim at [email protected].