5 dishes essential to a complete South Indian meal

Courtesy of Flickr

With the numerous Indian restaurants in Berkeley, don’t you want to know what dishes are essential for a complete Indian meal? Even if you already have your favorites, Eating Berkeley recommends that you order these items anyway.

1. Dosa

dosa
This crepelike dish is made from rice batter and black lentils. It is highly popular in the Southern Indian states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. It can be filled with vegetables or pickles to make for a fuller meal, and it is one of the healthiest South Indian dishes because it is high in protein and carbohydrates and does not contain any sugar, saturated fats or gluten.

2. Idli

idli
Idlis are small, round cakes made from fermented black lentils and rice. Like dosas, they are extremely healthy and can be consumed at any time of day. They are often paired with a variety of chutneys, such as spicy or coconut chutneys.

3. Sambar

sambar
Sambar is one of the stews accompanying many South Indian dishes, and it is usually made with vegetables such as beans, carrots and lentils. It is typically served with dosas, idlis or steamed rice. The flavor and preparation of sambar varies from state to state in India.

4. Appam

appam
Appams are pancakes made from a mixture of fermented rice batter and coconut milk. They are often served with vegetable stew and come in different varieties that range from appams with an egg yolk in the middle to appams made from rice noodles. Appams can also be served with fish or chicken curry stew.

5. Vada

vada
Vadas are round, deep-fried fritter snacks made from lentils, gram flour or potatoes. They are often served as a breakfast food or snack, but they are also consumed alongside other main dishes during lunch and dinner. Vadas are one of the most popular South Indian street foods and are often served with chutney or yogurt.

Images sources: Rain Rabbit, ranjit, KiranJagarlapudi, spoOnman and ukanda under Creative Commons.
Contact Spandana Singh at [email protected]