How did Cal students spend their time this weekend? Probably generating #WWIS statuses

One reputable source of information shared all over your social media.

If you were paying attention to your Facebook feed at all this week, you probably noticed something different. Some of our friends weren’t checking in or posting new statuses. That doesn’t mean they stayed away from Facebook. Instead, they were posting jumbled-up word vomit of their old posts that we were planning (and hoping) to never see again.

need_a_hug_wwis

Begging for hugs is why Facebook pokes were invented.

At the Clog, we’ve been having a lot of fun generating and reading our own WWIS statuses. But reading most of the nonsensical bot-generated messes of text that some of our friends felt the need to share hasn’t been as entertaining. Unless it was related to Cal, our friends’ nonsensical posts just seemed like … nonsense.

lolwut?

lolwut?

Although a lot of the statuses made no sense, we still laughed at some of the ridiculous events they proposed. You never know — some of the realities and anxieties they express could come true one day.

We guess a flower child professor held class on Memorial Glade one day?

We guess a professor held class on Memorial Glade?

Other times, the event invented was something incredibly realistic that might happen in the foreseeable future. After all, WWIS did take bits and pieces from our real life. There are some statuses that could certainly become your true words.

In case the 51B flakes out.

In case the 51B flakes out.

Finally, WWIS could help you reach some thoughts you didn’t realize you had yet. Sure, these statuses read like the equivalent of the drunken or high pseudo-philosophical slurs you muse to your cactus on a Friday night, but you can’t tell us that it made your day worse.

said everyone hanging out on Telegraph.

said everyone hanging out on Telegraph.

Contact Jessica Rogness at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jessarogness.