This Saturday: Dinner in the Woods

Berkeley /Courtesy
Image courtesy of the Berkeley Student Food Collective.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, the autumn harvest is here and The Berkeley Student Food Collective (BSFC) is preparing its delicious annual Dinner in the Woods Gala event on campus November 23. The evening will feature a speech by celebrated keynote speaker Eric Holt-Gimenez, a prominent food sustainability activist and co-author of “Food Rebellions,” a book on the issue of food ethics and justice within human societies.

The BSFC, whose small, organic grocery outlet is located on Bancroft Way, seeks to raise awareness about the environmental impacts of the modern-day conventional food industry. The collective is a non-profit organization that sells only local produce at its location at the lowest prices possible. In order for the collective to continue to pursue its mission — to provide the Berkeley community with organic, affordable, local food — the fundraising Gala is held each fall to help raise funds.

The Dinner in the Woods will be held at the Alumni House from 6-9pm, featuring live music and a silent auction. In previous years, the crowd has been primarily a cornucopia of students and faculty of UC Berkeley; however all members of the Bay Area community interested in food sustainability are welcome. Tickets are available at foodcollective.org/gala and include admission, entertainment and a four-course organic feast. All funds raised from the event go to supporting the BSFC’s non-profit endeavors.

Contact Kate Irwin at [email protected]