UC Berkeley faculty and students win Fulbright Scholar Awards

UC Berkeley ranked as one of the most prolific producers of Fulbright grant recipients among U.S. research institutions for the 2013-14 year, according to a report published by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Six UC Berkeley professors were granted the Fulbright Scholar Award, ranking the campus seventh on the list of top producers of U.S. Fulbright Scholars in U.S. research institutions. On the list of top producers of U.S. Fulbright Students in U.S. research institutions, 18 UC Berkeley students were awarded fellowships, ranking UC Berkeley 13th.

The Fulbright Program is an international exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government that offers grants for U.S. citizens to go abroad to conduct research or teach. The program also allows students to conduct research across a variety of disciplines to produce projects that can be critical or creative.

Students are eligible to apply for the Fulbright U.S. Student Scholarship from the time they are undergraduate seniors to the time they receive their doctorates.

Tria Andrews, a 2012 Fulbright scholar and doctoral candidate in the campus ethnic studies department, used her Fulbright grant to travel to the Philippines to “write a comparative collection of poetry based on archival research that examines American colonial education in the U.S. with Native American students and as implemented in the Philippines,” she said.

Andrews’ research focuses on examining the legacy of American colonialism and looking at how American colonialism and occupation have affected the Native American and Filipino populations.

Since returning from a nine-month trip to the Philippines, Andrews has given several presentations on campus as well as in other national and international locations on the poems she wrote while in the Philippines for the Fulbright project. She said she plans to eventually publish the poems in a book.

According to Maria Loza, assistant director of fellowships within the Graduate Division of UC Berkeley, part of the reason students are able to receive national fellowships such as the Fulbright is the review program and workshops the campus offers.

Faculty members on campus evaluate applicants on whether research needs to be conducted abroad. This assessment is then sent to the Fulbright program each fall for further evaluation, Loza said.

In the past, 77 UC Berkeley faculty members have been awarded Fulbright scholarships, according to a press release from the campus Graduate Division.

“The Fulbright is one of the most amazing opportunities that I’ve ever had, and I’m extremely grateful for the time I spent in the Philippines,” Andrews said. “It’s been enriching personally and professionally.”

Lydia Tuan covers research and ideas. Contact her at [email protected].