Jason Chen’s Picks of the Week

Kris Krug/Creative Commons/Courtesy

“Oldboy”

Starring Josh Brolin and Samuel L. Jackson, this remake of acclaimed Korean revenge flick “Oldboy”  follows the dark conspiracy surrounding an advertising executive who is inexplicably imprisoned for 20 years and the mad pursuit of retribution that follows. Under the directorial helm of Spike Lee and a veteran cast, this Hollywood remake will hopefully do justice to its iconic source material.

John Legend at the Paramount Theater

Crowned by Rolling Stone Magazine as the “reigning king of hip-hop soul,” John Legend will be in the Bay this Wednesday to promote his new album, Love in the Future, that was released late August. With collaborators on the album ranging from Sara Bareilles to Kanye West, Legend’s sumptuous, Marvin Gaye-emulating croons are sure to demonstrate his best songwriting efforts yet.

Union Square tree-lighting ceremony

If you’re still in the Bay for Thanksgiving, be sure to join hundreds of other Bay Area residents to usher in the holiday festivities Friday at Macy’s annual tree-lighting ceremony in Union Square. With more than 21,000 energy-friendly LED lights and a guest appearance by “The Voice” star Judith Hill, this event is set to continue a classic American tradition.

Great Dickens Christmas Fair

As each day brings us closer to Christmas, it’s only the best of times from here on out. What better way to celebrate than by attending the Bay’s annual Dickens fair, which will transport you back to the period of 1840s Victorian London. More than 120,000 square feet will abound with all sorts of shops, pubs, stage entertainment and actors in period costumes.

Contact Jason Chen at [email protected].