Art a la Carte: Inspired by Ezra Koenig

chriszak via Creative Commons/Courtesy

We’re back with your weekly arts fix! This week’s post is inspired by Ezra Koenig, petri dishes and mothers, among other things. Eat your art out!

1. “Mommy and Me” has never looked cuter. Artist Mica Angela Hendricks collaborated with her 4-year-old daughter, Myla, to create some seriously beautiful surrealist doodles. Watch out, Dali!

2. The always cool and collected Ezra Koenig, frontman of Vampire Weekend, may have majored in English at Columbia University, but a new blog overlaps his lyrics with images from a different realm of the humanities — the world of art history. “Ezra and Art” takes on Caravaggio and Van Gogh (a favorite is one of Warhol’s Marilyn Monroe screenprints with the Diane Young lyrics “You’ve got the luck of a Kennedy”). The best part is that many of the prints are for sale. At $15 a pop, they make perfect holiday gifts!

3. Who knew industrial dyes and science equipment could create some of the most beautiful paintings? Check out Klari Reis’ “Petri Dish Paintings” for some brightly stunning visuals.

4. The trailer for Lana Del Rey’s short film “Tropico” was released last week. Although it’s (thankfully) lacking old, creepy motorcyclist extras, it’s got everything else you need to create that perfect Lana vibe: smoke, strippers and sinister albino snakes.

5. And in case you were actually missing the motorcyclists from Lana’s “Ride” music video, we’ve got you covered with Saint Laurent’s limited-edition motorcycle leather jacket. At more than $7,000, it could pay for one semester at UC Berkeley, but it sure is nice to look at!

Addy Bhasin covers visual art. Contact her at [email protected].