Youssef Shokry’s Picks of the Week

The Billions Corporation/Courtesy

‘Inside Llewyn Davis’

The fantastic directing duo of Joel Coen and Ethan Coen returns to the big screen Friday, following a week in the life of Bob Dylan-esque protagonist Llewyn Davis (Oscar Isaac) as he wanders 1961 Greenwich Village. The soundtrack, which has already been released, charms on its own and will be a treat paired with the Coens’ unique filmmaking style.

Not So Silent Night 2013

Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Lorde, Arctic Monkeys, Alt-J … what a lineup! Be sure to catch two nights of what should be amazing performances at the Oracle Arena in Oakland this Friday and Saturday. Given the recent album releases of so many of these bands, this will be a night to look back on 2013 and celebrate a stellar year of music.

First Tuesdays in San Francisco

The end of the semester is upon us, and if most of your classes are wrapping up, why not treat yourself to a free stroll around the M. H. de Young Memorial Museum or the Cartoon Art Museum? Admission to these two museums, as well as many others, is free Tuesday, so take a day to adventure before you bunker down in Main Stacks.

Hoodslam

“Don’t bring your fucking kids — this shit is real.” Every first Friday of the month at the Oakland Metro Operahouse (off Third Street and Broadway) is Hoodslam, a balls-to-the-wall wrestling madhouse, starring such memorable characters as Drugs Bunny (a 1920s gangster bunny that carries around a bag of suspicious white powder). Just the thing to kick off your dead week and procrastination.

Contact Youssef Shokry at [email protected].