Art a la carte: vintage books to National Geographic

We swam through the depths of the aesthetic world to bring you only the artsiest of treasures. This week’s “Art a la Carte” looked to everything from vintage books to NatGeo for inspiration. Enjoy!

1. There’s a connection that every book lover feels with old, yellowing novels. The pages smell of a world lost in the past, though not completely forgotten. Artist Elly Liyana has taken this appreciation and created the “Old Book Project,” a series of illustrations done on the brittle pages of used books. “Like wine, the older the better,” she writes.

2. Every year, National Geographic holds a photography contest judged on “brilliant imagery.” The grand-prize winner receives $10,000 and a trip to NatGeo’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., so it’s kind of a big deal. This year’s photos are mind-blowing. Shot in locations that range from the Dolomiti to Fukushima, the photos capture life like you’ve never seen it before. Judge for yourself with TwistedSifter’s entry highlights.

3. Is hair beautiful or creepy? We’re not too sure either.

4. Cool, creative kids are rampant in Berkeley, so picking holiday gifts for our pretentious — I mean, artsy — friends is tricky. Check out this guide with gifts that range from a subscription to Counter Culture Coffee to the classic Berger French pencils.

5. Though not technically related to visual arts, Are you the Greatest? tests your quotation knowledge. Take the quiz to see whether you know your notable black figures and their famous sayings well enough. Intrigued? There’s a book too!

6. Mary Schmidt Campbell, dean of the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University, is preparing to step down from her post at the age of 66 — but not without promising a bright future for the arts in the United States. She will continue to serve as vice chair of the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities (which advises the White House on cultural issues), pushing toward “creatives areas (that) are extremely important in terms of developing the capacity for resilience and metaphorical thinking,” she said.

Image sources: Joe Wolf under Creative Commons

Addy Bhasin covers visual art. Contact her at [email protected].