Cal to add sand volleyball as 30th sport

Cal will add sand volleyball as its 30th sport, Cal Athletics announced Thursday.

The sport will be played in the spring semester, with players from the fall indoor team making up the roster in the team’s first year. Sand volleyball will also be coached by current volleyball head coach Rich Feller and his staff, ensuring that the expansion into the sport adds little financial cost to Cal Athletics.

“I’m excited to oversee our new sand volleyball program,” Feller said. “We will run the program with the same commitment, dedication and vision that we have with our indoor team for the past 15 years and look forward to competing with the programs in the country.”

After Oregon, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA and USC, Cal is the seventh Pac-12 program to add sand volleyball as a sport. Washington also added sand volleyball on the same day.

With the recent additions, the total number of sand volleyball programs in the country is expected to reach 40, the number the NCAA requires in order to hold a championship game.

“We are excited to add sand volleyball as our 30th varsity sport,” said Athletic Director Sandy Barbour in a statement. “Sand volleyball is the fastest growing sports in Division I athletics, and the program will add to the diverse and comprehensive athletic department we already have, mirroring the opportunities available throughout campus.”

Cal will visit Pacific on March 9 to begin the season before returning home on March 14 to play San Jose State. Home matches will be played at the Clark Kerr sand volleyball facility.

Contact Riley McAtee at [email protected]