The daily roundup: all of today’s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.   

Top headlines to read:

“UC President Janet Napolitano took the helm of the UC system this fall with a laundry list of big ideas and a loaded resume to back it up.” — Napolitano sets ambitious goals under scrutiny of UC community

“Applications for undergraduate admission at UC campuses rose for the 10th consecutive year, including a record number of students applying to UC Berkeley.” — UC Berkeley receives record number of applications for fall admissions

“When asked to write this, I hesitated because I wasn’t comfortable with the idea that I might be seen as an inspiration for volunteering in a disenfranchised community.” — Magnolia Project leads to a life in the Big Easy

Sports tonight:

Men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball, softball, women’s swim, men’s swim and more. — Read the full spring sports roundup.

Conversation starters:

“Tickets for Coachella are now for sale! We at The Daily Clog have compiled reviews on our favorite bands to help you prep for the big event.” — The best bands to see at Coachella 2014

“There is no better way to start off the semester Tuesday than by celebrating National Squirrel Appreciation Day.” — Tuesday is National Squirrel Appreciation Day, and the Clog is celebrating

Berkeley in the news:

“At 7:30 Sunday morning, a big rig hauling what looked like an Elmwood living room took a hard left, then a hard right, and the only Julia Morgan-designed building on the UC Berkeley campus headed for the hills.” — Moving day a success for UC Berkeley’s Julia Morgan building (SF GATE)

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]