The daily roundup: all of Jan. 22’s need-to-know news from the Daily Cal

The daily roundup is a collection of the top stories to read from The Daily Californian. We’ve curated need-to-know articles from all sections of the Daily Cal to give you a quick glimpse at our news coverage.

Top headlines to read:

“UC Berkeley administrators will not be dismissed from a lawsuit alleging they authorized police violence during a November 2011 Occupy Cal protest, a federal judge ruled Friday.” — UC Berkeley administrators not dismissed from Occupy Cal lawsuit

“Preparations are currently underway to transform Maxwell Family Field, the multi-use playing field adjacent to Memorial Stadium, into a two-story parking structure with a field on top, similar to Underhill Parking and Field.” — New field and parking structure to replace Maxwell Family Field

“This winter break, I stayed predominantly in Berkeley.” — Off the beat: New opportunities, but old habits die hard

Sports tonight:

“Cal football has found its new defensive coordinator.” — Cal football hires University of Cincinnati’s Art Kaufman as defensive coordinator

Conversation-starters:

“It’s that time of year again — when all of those films you never actually got around to seeing start making headlines as the next Oscar hopefuls.” — The Daily Clog picks the Oscar winners

“Much to everyone’s dismay, winter vacation has officially ended.” — The 8 absolutely worst parts about returning to school after winter break

UC Berkeley on the Internet:

“Since Janet Napolitano became the president of the University of California on September 30, her immigration record as governor of Arizona and as secretary of President Obama’s Department of Homeland Security has been a source of considerable controversy.” — The Napolitano Files (East Bay Express)

Chloe Hunt is the blog editor. Contact her at [email protected]